Phone: +64 9 374 1653
- Environmental/Resource Management Law
- Local Government/Administrative Law
- Public Law (domestic and international)
- Civil Litigation
Alan has over 28 years’ litigation experience including working at the Crown Solicitor’s office in Wellington, a National law firm in Auckland and National Power PLC in London (then England’s largest generating company). Alan has specialised in resource management and local government issues for the last 12 years.
Although based in Auckland, Alan provides services throughout New Zealand and advises on all aspects on environmental, resource management, local government, public law, administrative and enforcement issues. Alan acts as counsel for developers, property holdings companies, industrial services companies and community groups undertaking a wide range of projects. Alan regularly appears in council hearings, the Environment Court, the High Court and occasionally in the Appellate jurisdiction.
Alan’s projects include:
- Obtaining consent for a large marina project;
- Gaining approval for coastal subdivisions;
- Obtaining private plan changes;
- Urban design and development projects;
- Many successful subdivision/land use applications;
- Negotiating and resolving farming issues (water take/pollution);
- Defending prosecutions under the RMA;
- Successfully challenging administrative decisions with Judicial review proceedings;
- Obtaining urgent injunction proceedings;
- Assistance with lobbying of local/central Government (including Select Committee hearings).
Alan also undertakes environmental due diligence and auditing services.
Alan continues to develop strategic alliances with firms throughout Auckland and New Zealand to assist them maintain and develop comprehensive services for new and existing clients.
|2008 –||Barrister, Quay Chambers|
|2005 – 2008||Barrister, Environmental Law Chambers, Auckland|
|2003 – 2005||Partner, Norris Ward McKinnon, Hamilton|
|2002 – 2003||Barrister, Auckland|
|2000 – 2002||Senior Solicitor, Lowndes Jordan, Auckland|
|1996 – 2000||Senior Solicitor, Russell McVeagh, Auckland|
|1993 – 1996||Solicitor, Crown Solicitor’s Office, Wellington|
|1996 – 1993||Policy Analyst, Department of Internal Affairs, Wellington|
|1991 – 1992||Solicitor, National Power PLC, London|
|1989 – 1991||Solicitor, Innes Dean, Palmerston North|
Professional and other memberships
- New Zealand Law Society
- Auckland District Law Society
- New Zealand Bar Association
- Resource Management Law Association of New Zealand Inc
- Member of Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron
- Chairman of Board of Trustees for Ponsonby Primary School
- Member of the National Board of the New Zealand Red Cross (until 2014)